Soil Science Society of Latvia
History of the Soil Science Society of Latvia (SSSL)
The Soil Science Society of Latvia, which brings together Latvian soil researchers, was founded in the 1920s.
The Soil Science Society of Latvia was reorganised into the Latvian Branch of the All-Union Soil Researchers’ Society in the year 1957.
The historical name – the Soil Science Society of Latvia – was restored in the year 1990.
The Soil Science Society of Latvia was officially registered with the Register of Enterprises of the Republic of Latvia in the year 1996.
The Aim of the SSSL
The aim of the SSSL is to confederate soil scientists and experts specialising in soil and land use in Latvia for the purpose of soil research development and promotion of the integration of research results for sustainable use of soil resources.
Objectives of the SSSL:
- To promote fundamental and applied soil research in Latvia, ensuring the sustainable use of soil resources.
- To promote the integration of themes related to soil and its use and protection in education programmes in Latvia.
- To coordinate international and regional cooperation in soil research.
- To represent the interests of Latvian soil researchers in Latvian and international organizations.
- To improve the acquisition, transfer and promotion of soil research knowledge in Latvia and abroad.
- To promote the involvement of soil researchers in the SSSL.
- To facilitate the development of scientific skills of SSSL members, their research activities, and the implementation of recommendations into practice.
- To promote the improvement of soil-related information and its availability to the public.
The Soil Science Society of Latvia is represented as a member in the following major international scientific organizations:
- The IUSS – International Union of Soil Sciences, where the SSSL was formally admitted into membership in 2006.
- The ESCSS – European Confederation of Soil Sciences, founded with participation of representatives from the SSSL in Vienna in 2008.
- The SSSL cooperates with the ESBN – European Soil Bureau Network.
Partners of Cooperation
The Soil Science Society of Latvia brings together members from different organizations: the University of Latvia, the Latvia University of Agriculture, the Agriculture Research Institute (an Agency of the Latvia University of Agriculture), the Institute of Biology (of the University of Latvia), the Latvian State Forest Research Institute “Silava”, Daugavpils University, the State Land Service, and others.
The Soil Science Society of Latvia collaborates with the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development, the Ministry of Agriculture, the Ministry of Agriculture, State Plant Protection Service, Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre, and other scientific and professional bodies sharing the area of activity of the SSSL.
Since 2013, the SSSL operates in the University of Latvia, Faculty of Geography and Earth Sciences (Alberta Street 10, Riga).
University of Latvia, Faculty of Geography and Earth Sciences
Jelgavas Street 1, Riga, LV-1004, Room 337.
Telephone: +371 26479040